Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Creatures and things...

After my adventures in photography in the garden, I found a whole lot more things to photograph!!
I took pictures of fruits, of insects and flowers galore.
But my favourite photos come from a weekend trip to the bookstore...
Near the bookstore is a retention pond... filled with fish, geese, and a beaver... who came over for a snack!

He seems to be a most friendly fellow... here he is eating a carrot someone was kind enough to give him... although he does not care for the garlic bread nearby!

The kids were amazed with his ability to hold his food like a squirrel... and I had to comment on his likeness to a groundhog... if it were not for the flat tail behind him, and his love of the water, I am sure I would have thought him one!

We were able to get quite close... here is a good idea of the area he lives in... and the reason for his tameness :D

That is DS, throwing him some bark mulch. I blame the film version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe myself... he had just re-watched it and remembered the 'raw fish and wood chips' dinner. It's a shame it was not more like the book which had Mrs. Beaver cooking the real thing (fish and chips) and the children loving it!!

That was a week ago... but for something more recent you can see here:

This interesting fellow was found dead on our back steps. I wish I had managed a few more photos, because he really was pretty... but alas... the wind took him away!

It looks to me to be a kind of cuckoo wasp... he is metallic blue, very pretty! Of course, if you know for sure, please do post!

As for the garden... it is a little weed ridden... we had a break because DH had to do the car and a member of the family died, but we're back onto it again.

So much so, that my back is killing me after sustaining a nasty burn on Sunday. Someone has hidden my sunblock... and in an effort to keep cool, I managed to burn my back. Not unfortunately, a rare occurrence! Fair skin can be a real curse sometimes!

4 comments:

lora k said...

I don't know what the wasp is, but he is too cool looking. My daughters and I will have find researching to find out exactly what he is. Don't think I've seen one like that down here in South Texas.

In Him,
Lora

lora k said...

I don't know what the wasp is, but he is too cool looking. My daughters and I will have find researching to find out exactly what he is. Don't think I've seen one like that down here in South Texas.

In Him,
Lora

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness did my boys enjoy seeing that picture of the beaver! And the wasp is neat too (what a vivid blue!). I know what you mean about the fair skin, too ~ long summer ahead! :)

Spinneretta said...

Glad you all liked the wasp :) Yes, I was super busy there for a week... my BIL died, so we were somewhat caught up.
I do indeed have Aloe Vera... now to convince DH he needs to put it on my back (the kids hurt me it is so tender :/)
Dawn: I bet the kids did not enjoy it as much as mine enjoyed seeing the real thing *lol* DD always requests to go to the bookstore or to see the beaver now ;)