Thursday, February 18, 2010

Red Winged Blackbird


Red Winged Blackbird
Originally uploaded by Spinneretta
I had to get some more photos of birds recently- so many of my others were not quite good enough- the bird was not in a good position or there was snow in the way... so yesterday, when this fellow appeared, I grabbed my camera and got a few good shots.
He has not got his summer plumage yet- his 'epaulette' is still kind of yellowy, with just a flash of red at the top.
Since it was warmer, he is not as puffed up as my other birds, and his glossy plumage was certainly challenging to capture :)
A mockingbird and some starlings accompanied him on the feeder- although I like the mockingbird, I was not too thrilled with the others (or the squirrel that seems to think I have provided him with a free lunch).
I am definitely looking forward to some spring!!

No comments: